I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the Book would not be destroyed as I had planned. It continued falling into that starry expanse, of which I had only a fleeting glimpse. I have tried to speculate where it might have landed, but I must admit that such conjecture is futile. Still, questions about whose hands might one day hold my Myst book are unsettling to me. I know my apprehensions might never be allayed, and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written. -- Atrus

Thursday, September 29, 2016

A Tale of Two Trees

***Attention***
This post contains spoilers for Obduction.  If you do not wish to be spoiled, move along, please.
Also, if you are looking for unbelievably quality images, don’t.  Because you won’t find them here.  My modest laptop dates to spring 2013, so I am running Obduction only on medium quality graphics.

When I returned to Kaptar, I had it in my mind that I must turn off the power.  Isn’t that the way it goes?  Turn on the power to get things moving only so when it comes time to turn off the power everything will be in its place.  It took me maybe 30 minutes to remember where everything was, how it all worked together, and decide what it was I needed to do.  I spent a lot of time moving things around.  I was thinking I had to do this, that, and the other—only to realize this, that, and the other had to stay the same as I had them before.  So I put this back to that, that back to there, and then the other…whatever you do with that I did it.

In the process of all this, I found something neat with that swinging bridge at the beginning point of Kaptar: when it moves it makes the same noise you hear with the rotating room of the gateway puzzle in Riven!

Finally, I came up with the solution.  The vehicle machine at the temple needed to be switched off while the vehicle was parked there.  This would allow me to step through the gear to the other side.  It couldn’t be simpler (in theory).  I discovered that all I had to do was to make the most direct path to that tree that I could.  This led me into the temple to that triangular doorway, which then would connect me to that little swap room that is powered by the rotating sphere in Hunrath.  I would need that to then align me with the entrance to the Arai nest.



You know, in Maray I was so surprised that Cyan had not left an escape path out of the 222 puzzle, but then, duh, I figured out that being stuck there was part of the puzzle.  I still feel very bad about leaving Orbar/Aprar/Trar behind to die an awful death with no one to talk to.  If the game ends and he has no satisfying ending I am going to be miserable.

After swapping back and forth and rotating stuff, I was able to walk down into the Arai nest with those gross enormous freak bugs and onward to the path that led to the gear that had hitherto blocked my way.  The gear had been stopped and I was free to walk through!  How easy!  Why hadn’t I thought of it before?


I went down into the depths of the tree where everything was blue instead of gold.  There were no cables leading out to the portals except for the Hunrath one, the Heart.  After I activated the tree, the portal to Hunrath was open.  And now for an inundation of screenshots because they are so stunning:













I returned to Hunrath, of course, in order to return to Maray, but also to check the tower roof mechanisms.  The Kaptar light was on.  I didn’t want to return to Maray because it’s scary there, but I made myself return.


Once back in Maray, I saved my game.  Who knows what will happen next there?!  I went back to that place of impending danger with the object I wasn’t allowed to touch.  When I got there I decided to check on my poor dying friend and on the way, I caught a glimpse of that Mofang hologram device I’d nearly ignored before (despite having taken a screenshot of it!).  With grim satisfaction I saw I was right.  The Mofang had been using an image of the mayor to mimic him and to trick me.  Wow!—well…


The floating Mofang object was blocking a seed pod that presumably swapped to Soria.  I knew I had to destroy it. 


Up the hill was a machine with a joystick.  Nearby was another Villein creature, but this one was 100% dead. 


Aww, that’s so sad.  I turned back to the joystick and used the laser to smash the dangerous device.  What would it have done if I’d touched it?  



On a whim of morbidity, I decided to shoot the Mofang/mayor body with the blue laser.  When I did so, the entire hologram image disappeared and it was only the Mofang’s body that was left there.


I went to the disabled device to observe the damage and saw that I had crumbled the Soria seed pod also.  Was it a decoy, or did I make a mistake?  Uh-oh.  I moved past it and came to another bridge control panel, but a number had already been inserted.  I haphazardly entered numbers until I had the desired effect and crossed the bridge.  I was in the realm of the tree.



The water here was green.  I activated the tree and it opened the portals to both Kaptar and Hunrath.  Alas, there was no portal to Soria, since apparently I destroyed chance of that. However, I had read that their devices are only temporarily disabled…






Finally, as all paths apparently lead to Hunrath, so too did mine.  I went up to the tower roof again to check the progress of power.  Indeed the Maray light was lit.  So now what about Soria?  Maybe C.W. had a clue.  I visited him again, but he yelled at me again.



I thought returning to Maray would be a good idea.  When I got back, I heard the object making a terrible noise.  Did it make that noise before?  Was it trying to regenerate?  I just didn’t have a clue.  I knew then that it was time to set the game aside for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment